martes, 29 de mayo de 2012

Day 1

Day one:

Airports are so glamorous to me. Today I dressed like a bum but normally I dress up in my most expensive-looking (Old Navy) clothes. I always wanted to look rich because people who fly are rich. Or I thought it was only rich people. You can tell newbies from pros... pros who have flown their whole life sit back and relax and don't even pay attention to the safety video; they sit and chat about how this flight/plane compares to others. #casual. But I think I am still a newbie. I get all flustered and rushed at security and bite my nails during take-off. Silly me.

But airports are not just glam because of rich folks - it's because they are so diverse. You see so many people and hear languages. You see things that are not in Chapel Hill. A whole army battalion on their way to Iraq? Umm Chapel Hill is not so military supportive. How's that for making you think about politics and death and war? Airports remind me of how diverse North Carolina ISN'T.

I remember the social worker at the Durham VA always said how people think Durham is SOOOO diverse but it's not. He said he dealt with race and class at work all the time, and intervened on behalf of patients when other employees are oblivous to culture. He was from NYC.

Who would know I could ever have a reason to roll my eyes at NC?? Never knew I could love NC less but I guess each one has growing to do.

Day 1 night time:

Thoughts=

1. I am laying in a bed I have slept in before. How cool is that? This room is kinda mine.

2. I have no idea what time it is when I am here. Am I going to bed at 7pm or 10pm? I dunno.

3. The first thing my host family said was "QUE GORDITA" as in... How fat you have gotten! Here it is kind of a compliment, meaning round or womanly or curvy. But they definitely spent 10 minutes on how much weight I had gained. lols.

4. Alex separated us 4 into 4 separate host families and I feel TERRIBLE. The girls are troopers though.

5. Anxious because I did not get to tell my family that I arrived safely. Do not worry family! #firstworldproblems

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario