viernes, 29 de julio de 2011

Growing growing.

It is incredible how much can happen in two days.

Right now I am sitting in Antigua in an internet cafe. I just ate a snack in front of a Cathedral that is over 500 years old. I sat on the bench and looked up AMERICAN FOOD in my guidebook. WHOEVER GAVE ME THIS GUIDE BOOK (cough....peter...cough) IT IS AMAZING. I use it every single day, and the recommendations are always perfect. So I wandered to the cafe which is startlingly (?) similar to a Asheville type coffee shop. I have never been so happy to eat a grilled cheese. I have never had a Coke so delicious. I took a picture of both :)

So I sat there and got my bearings, and planned my weekend in Antigua. There were many gringos and international students in the coffee shop and everyone spoke english. There was a girl speaking french, other guys with an english accent, ome in language school and some are tour guides. The boys near me were backpackers, they looked like they were about to ascend a volcano. Then again I also heard them talked about the local bars and drink specials- so maybe they live here. I fit in very well with my Kelty pack and my chacos (thank you peter again). Maybe not so much when I wear scrubs around.

Antigua is beautiful. Touristy but beautiful. I love it. And I love the different languages as well. Tonight I am staying in my first hostel and tomorrow I am ascending a volcano named Pacaya. Yes it is active. Hell yes.

Earlier today I had my Spanish lessons as usual with Alex. I am learning all about the health care system, private and public hospitals and the social security. We have visited a few health care places and today we went to one aptly named "Los Obras Sociales de Santo Pedro"...I think all Peters are good people :) Just kiddin. Ok so it is a big church with health care for the abused, abandoned and mentally in. IN Guatemala, if you have a child with autism or down syndrome, you may not be able to afford to take care of it, and so many children are abandoned or dropped off at churches. It was so so beautiful so see the actions of the church, but also so painful to look around.

The nurses all wear dresses and white aprons. My nursing professors would be horrified.

I think I want to go to a a service in one of these giant Cathedrals.

I am kinda star crazy because yesterday I stayed at home all day with "enfermadades de extranjera". It´s funny how if you tell people you are a medical professional, or in school to be one, they always come to you with their sicknesses. I love and hate this. First of all I loved it when a friend, or my host sister for example, comes to me and I can help her with something. But I hate it when they expect something and you don´t know what to do. A little let down. I have noticed so much how everyone in the world is the same. I know that is what you´re supposed to learn when you travel but it is so true. We are all in the same human state. For example, lately I have been blown away by the similarities between me and my host sisters. I believe inside every girl there is a princess. Don´t laugh at me. You know it. Two nights ago me and my sisters gave each other makeovers and did a fashion show, last night we watched disney....and a preview came on for a chick flick. My and my sister Sandy both said at the same time ¨"Quiero ver esa pelicula!!!!!". You always hear that sermon about how all girls are princesses, daughters of a God, dying to be adored and respected and called beautiful. Not SAVED by a man, but just needed and loved. I think all girls fall into two categories. Hopeless romantics and hopeless romantics in hiding. And denial. Hehe

Tidbits:
-I met someone from Tennessee! Yay!
-Lately I have been relying alot on Psalm 23 to get me through anxiety and nursing school. Yesterday I noticed this Psalm is posted over the kitchen door in my house. Such providence.
-I got homesick so I watched Ten Things I Hate About you.
-I saw a mosquitos as big as a quarter. En serio.
- I had my first cofee from Guatemala. INCREDIBLE.
-Did I already talk about the chips I found that are like fritos but they are lime flavored! Only 1Q which is like
- I miss Charlotte and Mahlet. And the Bachelorette un poquito.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario