martes, 26 de julio de 2011

I just paid for an hour of internet. it costs 3 quetzales which is about 50 cents. Thekeys on this computer are weird because they are made for spanish characters. SO please pardon mytyping and spelling!! I am sitting in a internet cafe in my small town Santa LUcia. I love my small town because it feels very safe, but its also frustrating because i am literally the only white person in the town so people stare- especially at my [blonde[ hair and blue eyes. By cafe I mean that it is a small room, that is open to the street. So even now i there arre dogs coming in and out and i can hear the bustle on main street. there are no sidewalks , everyone just walks in the middle of the road until a car honks at them. there are many street dogs that just eat tsh and are homeless. peter,you would want to adopt all of them!! i also can hear the park, where all the kids in the town go after school. it is also where i play soccer with my family! they are amazing, i love them. most of the volunteers go on many trips around the country. but i think i may stay near the town...i am not sure. Alex (who i spend most of my time with) says my experience is whatever i make it. so i can go on trips all the time, or just focus on my studies and hang out with my family. my family is helping me with spanish alot, and also the kids speak 1 or 2 words english. only somtimes does it feel like i am babysitting.

random things:
1. i just ate in a cafe by myself. and i have NOO IDEA what i ate. which is probably bad. but i am not eating raw food or salads or chicken so don{t worry. i can order and pay all by myself. i am proud. i have ALOT of alone time

2. there is a volcano smoking less than a mile away. its AWESOME

3. the only volunteer here is Connor, he is irish and has a CRAZY accent. He likes to make fun of americans.

4. last night i took a shower, and i got to use the running water instead of a bucket. yay

5. i sleep SOOO MUCH. last night i went to bed at 9 and got up at 7:30. But i am still weirdly tied all the time. probably because i am on adge alot.5. every night it is hard to sleep because a. i live on a highway. b. there are many [bombas[ or firecrackers that sound like guns. c. there are maybne 20-30 dogs in our neighborhood who bark ALL night. d. there are
6. we cannot flush the toilet, we throw all [waste[ in a trash can by the toilet. we don{t wash our hands or faces in a sink, we use buckets. instead of doors, we have a main lockable door to the house. but the rest is blanket across doorways.

10. today i saw a limon tree with lemons the size of baseballs. also there are many orange and avacado trees.

11. i packed all wrong. except the weather here is bizarre. it is very cld in the mornings and night....i wake up and need a sweatshirt...it is maybe 50 degrees. and then in the middle of the day it is 70 or 80. i never know what to wear! i wear scrubs pants alota. but alot of my clothes are not modest enoughj.

12. i thought time would fly here....but it does not at all. the days are very long and i feel like i have been here for a week. i cannot believe how much time i have. there is a chart in my school that says [stages of culture shock[ and i can{t figure out where i am. i do not think i am shocked, it is similar to honduras here, but i think i am not sure what i am doing here. so loco!!!! i can{t decide how much to explre and try new things and how much to be safe. I am sorry my grammar is bad. This computer is weird.

13. I found a type of chips I LOVE (duh) they are like fritos, but lime flavored! i also love the jugo from the bag. MMM....solo un quetzal.

I will write more soon. This will be my random post, and tomorrow maybe will be my chronological post.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario