sábado, 30 de junio de 2012

boiling

I am sitting here in Livingston, Guatemala...one of the number 1 caminos for drugs traveling to the states. It is a dirty, smelly town. But I kinda like it. The streets are only wide enough for a car or a few bikes, and the stores line the river. Dolly Parton just came on the radio so I am happy. I am boiling in the sun because we spent all day on the carribean. I fell asleep and it was wonderful. Now I resemble a beat.

Traveling is such a growing thing. The best part is the people you meet. I compiled a list of the people we have met and the things I have learned from each one. I think I will post it next week, as I have some free time before julia gets here. YAYYYY. Our vacation ends tomorrow, as we bus it back to Antigua so Dana and Char can fly out. July 3rd is the infamous Peace Corpes Independence day party, and julia comes in the 4th.

I cannot wait to mix family and traveling.

Last week was wonderful, but a bit tiring, and definitely tried our friendships. We started into Semuc Champey, which was literally in the middle of a jungle. We started by hiking and swimming in the turquoise pools....but my favorite part....and POSSIBLY light highlight. was CAVING!!!!!!!!!! As we entered into the cave the small mayan boy wearing briefs (guatemalan swim suit) handed me a candle and said ´´use one hand to hold the candle, and the other to swim¨....WHAT!!! so we entered the cave, welcomed by bats and water. Some parts we could stand but other parts we had to swim. There were ladders and ropes and everything that we should ahve signed liability forms for. It was amazing. I could not wipe the grin off my face.

From Semuc we went to Flores, which is the main jumping off point for the ruins at Tikal. We were exhausted from many nightmarish shuttle rides so we took a day off. We swam in the lake, shopped, and watched SPANGLISH at a tv cafe. The next morning at 4am we set off to the ruins, which did not disappoint. We also saw MONKEYS!!!!!!!!!!! And something called a Cuete...see below.

After our bad shuttles we splurged on a FIRST class shuttle to Rio Dulce. It was an old greyhound with PERSONAL seats and air conditioning....we felt like queens. There was also a toilet in the back which i hads to use. Funny story......i went back to sit on the toilet.....and realized there was a very untinted window next to the john. I tried to close it but it was definitely stuck. So as i sat there doing business all the sudden WE GOT STUCK IN TRAFFIC. actually a military check of the bus...so we slow to a stop, and i am sitting there peeing while waving nnochalantly at the armed army men.

Rio Dulce was incredible. I will explain it more later. I am off to dinner....our hostel here has family style sit down dinner every night. Very communal. Tata XOXOXOXO etc.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario