jueves, 7 de junio de 2012

La compu

Yesterday my family asked me to help me with their computer. Ensenar is the word they used, meaning to teach or show. I said yes, sor 25 quetzales. It took me about 2 hours to figure out how it worked, but I h(5 of them) gathered around the computer hoping to see internet. They believed in me. I am white so I must know everything about computers. I helped them send emails to other vol them write facebook posts that needed to be in english. They would say something in spanish and i would translate it in real time to english. It felt so good.i I have a SKILL!!!!!!!! I felt helpful. It does not always feel glamorous but to speak two languages is to be a bridge builder. To connect. To reunite. They were ecstatic.

Today I saw a family of 5 use internet in their house for the first time. Cement floors. Cement floors. Stone sink, wood oven. 4 rooms. And internet!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario