miércoles, 13 de junio de 2012

Vale la pena





This is an excerpt from an email I just sent Peter. It is sort of inner dialogue-esque so forgive the spelling.

first off, I WENT TO A WORLD COP QUALIFYING GAME YESTERDAY IN GUATEMALA CITY.

So...Carlos Columbi is the head of INLEX (the program) and his son is 26 so we decided to ask him if he wanted to take us to the game, in return for him taking a ticket. so he said yes, and he brought his friend Rodrigo who is 24. Between them we were gaurded by 2 guatemalan natives. Ish. Diego is technically argentine but whatevs. He would probably hate that i just said whatevs cause argentines are very particular. anyway they picked us up at the bus stop and took us into the city. which was scary. diego kept pointing at buses and saying ´the red ones are where people get killed´or ´there was a shooting yesterday on the blue one´etc. So we were VERY happy we were accompanied. Anyway we got to the game and were sufficiently felt up by security (they took my clif bar wahhhh) and entered the estadio. It was big around, but not very high. seats 25,000 which is less than the dean dome. so anyway we bought the cheapest tickets which were 100Q and so we were in the general admission place. AKA the guatemalan masses. Not the officials or travelers.....the plebes. So we walk in and instantly there are stares and pointing from all over. Thank the LORD i wore my guatemala jersey because i have such obvious blue eyes an dirty blonde hair. Soon after we entered the americans (about 50 of them, fenced off in a small section and guarded by 50 armed guards) started waving their american flags. Then, all the guatemalans all around us stood up, and collectively waved their arms and middle fingers and said words i cannot write on here SOOO LOUD. I literally thought we may be killed. We kept our head down and headed to our seats. They played the national anthem as i walked to the bathroom and i kept my head buried. I pretended not to sing the words or be excited- and i said as many canadian things as i could. There was one especially rambuncitous (?) guy who was saying terribly obscene things the who time, but thankfully he decided to call us the good gringa bitches. Which is a better alternative than the things he called the folks in the america section. Throughout the game i just clapped whenever guatemala did something and jumped up and down shrieking GOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL when guatemala made their one goal.

In the end, an Impate was the best thing that could have happened. The guats thought they´d be whupped by the US but they managed a tie. Nobody was angry with us, and nobody wanted to take out anger on us. After the game ended i entered the mob that headed towards the parking lot. That was another time of spectacle, with people pointing and such. I saw about 2 gringos the whole time i was there. Char and Dana have dark brown hair, and they all 3 have brown eyes...so I swear I get a lot fo stares but i think i am imagining it. There was one point where this guy was completely turned around in his seat taking a video of us on his camera. Not very subtle at all. After we got to our cars we drove home and stopped at WENDYS !!!!!!!!!! which i could not afford so we ended up going to TACO BELL instead. taco bell is the most popular fast food her (besides pollo campero) which i think it HILARIOUS. so not real, but so good. then they dropped us off at home and it was the latest night i ahve ever had in guatemala: 12:30am. Seriously i am dead today. I usually go to bed at 9 or 930.

i got up at 8am today to go to the Puesto de Salud where CHarlotte and I have been working since Monday. I love it there. Monday I gave 25 vaccines, mostly to infants and children. It was so epic. I am learning a lot of medicinal words and getting to observe a lot. There are 2 NC State boys there who are cool, but take the ´rivalry´ a little too seriously. What rivalry!?!?!?!??!?!!!!!!!!! .

This weekend we are going to lay low in Antigua i think. Now that we actually have friends we may try to dancing scene a bit. Next weekend we start are big finale trip...up to Rio Dulce, Tikal, and Belize for a week.

I honestly am happy today. I woke up excited for what the day would bring. I feel happy about the work I do in the clinic, and I am loving hanging out with these girls My host family is incredibly kind and patient- and I have had TWO hot showers. I feel as though I live here and am not a tourist. I did not count down the days till i go home today!! Or the days till you get here!!! I actually want to stay here. I love Guatemala. I love that I have a favorite bread store, and I know what a good deal on a cocacola is. I love that we are regulars at a comedor, and I dream in Spanish. I love that I went to a soccer game and didnt sit with the americans. I love that I feel safe in my home, and sleep like a rock.

 I hate that i do not blink twice when i see automatic weapons in the street. I hate that poverty is started to appear normal. And malnutrition also seems to look pretty normal as well. Blehhhhhhhh.

Thanks for reading sweet friends. I feel your prayers, as I am way more at peace than I have been since I got here.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario